Here’s what we have going on in food-eating-land. Please note that sports-related-madness continues to be very real.
- Monday: Beef stew over rice plus some kinda veg. This is happening right now in my slow cooker, so this is pretty much the only thing that is . I browned hunks of beef chuck this morning, and when I get home I’ll add in carrots, celery, rutabaga, and some other stuff, thicken it up, and serve it over rice. This dish is yum-yummy-yum-yum in my tum-tummy-tum-tum.
- Tuesday Chicken curry with ALL the veggies. Mmmmmmm coconut milk.
- Wednesday My cop out meal for the week: turkey dogs! Oh yes, there will be fixins. Greens on the side.
- Thursday Fish n’ chips. And by chips, I mean french fries for those of you who don’t know. Tartar sauce all over the place. Salad to start. Deliciousness.
- Friday Chicken broccoli alfredo. Garlic bread. Noodle, noodles, and more noodles.
Here’s what we have going in activity-land.
- Baseball/Tball The end is near. Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! The 23rd is the last game. I’m pretty thrilled about it.
- Parks and Parks and Parks We went hiking and wading at Minnehaha Falls this past weekend, and it was exactly what I needed in my life. This weekend we’re headed out to Hyland Lake Park, and I’m pretty pumped for all the playing the boys will get to do. I’m pretty sure I’ll be out there climbing around too, because it looks seriously awesome.
- Camping! The last weekend of the month we’re camping at St. Croix State Park and it will be three days of bliss. I’m also attempting to squeeze in a trip to camp in northern MN, and I’m pretty sure it’s going to be late August/early September. Because this is exactly the kind of outdoor stuff I need.
- Water it’s everywhere, and I need to be in it more. I think that for the remainder of summer, Sunday needs to be Lake-day. Who’s with me?
Oh. My. Geez.
I am so late posting this. Sorry friends. So! This week hasn’t actually been planless, I’ve just horribly documented it. On paper. Which I’ve lost twice.
This week my Momma is in town from Chicago! Yay! And panic! And house cleaning! My life plan has pretty much revolved around this, basketball practice, and late night bathroom sink installs with my main squeeze. It *is* as romantic as it sounds.
So! Meal Plan!
- Monday We ate something. One of these days was pasta with smoked sausage, peppers, onions and salad.
- Tuesday We ate more things. One of these days was green curry/coconut milk/chicken with tons of veg over rice.
- Wednesday Yep, more eating. For the life of me I can’t remember right now. Maybe we had burritos?
- Thursday This one I actually remember! Chicken pot pie casserole with biscuits & green beans on the side. This is lunch today as well. Yum!
- Friday Havin frands over! Woop! Corned beef with carrots and cabbage, boiled potatoes, salad, apple crumble & ice cream for dessert.
- Saturday Basketball! Birthday party! Wooooo!
- Sunday Soup and fresh baked bread. Prep for next week because this week has been madness.
Welp, that’s it folks! Question: If you were stranded on a dessert island, would it be made of popsicles or ice cream sandwiches? Get it?? Dessert. Not desert. Har.
Lessons learned last week:
- Meal planning does in fact save my butt and make life easier. I should keep doing it.
- I’m not great at using free time for something other than work and grocery shopping… but I also squeezed in a haircut and managed to feel relaxed & appreciative of my alone time! Definitely a step in the right direction.
- Both kids played in their basketball league last Saturday and it was madness and wonderful all at the same time. This coming Saturday will be the last one that the boys both have bball games, then Kimathi’s season ends and it will just be Darian.
- My first strawberry pie ever is delicious, but I seriously need to improve my blind baked pie crust. Rave reviews in spite of the crust not being just right.
- Snow + above zero temps = Darian snowboarding (such joy).
Ok! So! I’m short on time. But here we go.
Life plan: Regular school/work/homework during the week but Darian’s school carnival is happening this Friday while Kimathi is snowboarding. I *will* be present and thankful for the opportunity to get him extra time with his school friends. I *will not* freak out, give in to my introverted tenancies, and conveniently “forget” about it.
Now, on to the Meal Plan. No pictures/graphics. No time. Ok, I lied….
- Monday Pot roast I cooked yesterday (so good!) reheated with some extra liquid, served over mashed potatoes, broccoli on the side. And probably some rolls too. Because juices.
- Tuesday Grilled Chicken burritos, guac, bean and rice, fresh salsa, with a chopped salad of some sort on the side. Kid-less and spicy!
- Wednesday Pasta with smoked sausage, peppers and onions, and a side salad.
- Thursday Chicken Pot Pie casserole, biscuits, broccoli on the side.
- Friday *Crossroads Carnival* we’ll be buying burgers and hot dogs. Fresh fruit in the car on the drive there to balance it out.
- Weekend I have to make pancakes Saturday morning or there will be a riot. Birthday dinner out with a friend on Saturday! I’m also planning on making burgers and fries at some point. And chocolate chip cookies.
Well there you have it. The briefest life plan in the history of me posting life plans. Not that there’s a lot to go off of, statistically speaking. Have a great week, friends!
New year. New plan. Bam!
So in addition to menus, my New Year ambitions are as follows:
- Energize and invigorate my weekly menu planning by including a Life Plan. What the heck is a Life Plan, you ask? It’s a work in progress, as everything around here is, but for now it incorporates activities with the kiddos, house projects, and my good old meal planning. Now if I could just figure out a way to include my nerd-like marketing/tech obsessions I’d be set!
- Bake two pies a month. Because good crust doesn’t happen without practice. Said pies can be sweet, savory, or some crazy combination of both. So far I’m half way to my January goal after baking a beautiful apple pie this weekend. One day my cell phone photo skills will improve, but today is not that day.
Bear with me as I figure out how the heck to format this thing. So far: Images 1280 x 720, thanks to this handy article. My official “floofy italics” font is Monotype Corsiva, 72 pt. in the above described image size. Secondary font….. maybe Cambria Math, 28 pt? I don’t know. I’m a fan of typography, and really need to put more time into it.
Ok! Here we go!
Monday, Monday, Monday! This is today.
- So obviously my Life Plan is going to have bullets. I mean, I couldn’t possibly organize my thoughts without them. Mondays we have my step son, Kimathi over for the evening. I pick both boys up from ARTS Us, which is their after school program that I quite literally cannot say enough good things about. I want to re-do their website, newsletter, and basically draft a comprehensive communications plan. AND THEY MIGHT EVEN LET ME.
- Menu: Today is an extra special Monday, because the boy’s Dad is picking them up. Not me. This adds about 35 minutes of extra time to my evening! Wooooooooo! I’m taking advantage by plopping that time into my cooking/prep.
- In addition to our (now usual) Monday night stir fry, I’m making veggie sushi as an appetizer. Yay for veggie sushi! Yay for extra time! Read all about it -with pics- and the amazing Masaharu Morimoto.
- What kind of stir fry you ask? Probably chicken, cabbage, carrots, celery, and pea pods tossed with rice noodles.
- Home: I am finally starting to recover from the death-sickness-I-have-had-since-Christmas, which means of course that my kitchen is a disaster zone. before my head hits the pillow tonight my dishes *will* all be done. Or my head won’t hit the pillow.
- Life: As a mom, I’m increasingly aware of the little “traditions” our boys appreciate/gravitate towards. A big part of this is our conversations around the dinner table. Prepare for more bullets.
- 5 year old Darian LOVES the game “would you rather”, but 9 year old Kimathi is so, so, so over it. We’ve started a new thing they both seem to like- open ended questions. Examples: If you could be any real or imaginary animal, what would you be? What super powers would have helped you with your day today, and why?
- “Finish the story” is one we play *only after* everyone is done eating. Because it is way to exciting. I’m being serious. Person one: One day, after a perfectly normal dinner, something extraordinary happened. Person two: It was that I got a new goldfish, but it was no ordinary goldfish. Person three: It was a dragon not a goldfish and I had to battle it! [Person three in this case is Darian. He ends up battling everything in our stories.]
- I’d love to hear your starters for “table talk”. Most of us aren’t big on small talk, so it helps get us going to have a theme 🙂
- Menu: Keeping it super simple to maximize our play time, and minimize the amount of dishes we create. We’ll have frozen (baked) Fish ‘n Chips with apple slices on the side. Pretty classy, right?
- Life: Darian’s big sis is winding down her visit, so they’re having a Father Daughter date. It’s probably the cutest thing they do. Dinner and a movie for them. I’ll be home with Darian, being super sentimental & trying my best to cherish his “little kid-ness” before it disappears. So far the plan is to build “Lego guys” with his Lego Hero Factory before dinner, then start a new chapter book for bed time.
Wednesday – minus kiddos.
- Menu: Because my boys are over at their other mom’s house and their weird about saucy stuff, I’m making Enchiladas. Plus cilantro-lime rice, beans, and a chopped salad with this dressing but zero jicama and green onions instead of red onions. I’m so excited. And I just can’t hide it.
- Life: On nights where I’m “without kids”, I’m not really all that “without” them. Yes, they are fed elsewhere, but I pick up Darian at 7:30 to get him home for bedtime. Most weeks, I just end up staying late at the office or going grocery shopping. This week, I’m going to challenge myself to make this meaningful “me time” as a mid-week break. What can I do with 2 hours that is soul nourishing? Well, this week I hope to find out.
- Menu: I already gave it away. We’re having leftovers! I made lasagna this past weekend, and if there’s any left (and there probably will be) then we’re eating it. Plus spinach. Bam! Done! I feel like I’m saying “bam” a lot in this post, but it must be because I’m so excited. Because I am. Bam!
- Life: Every winter, starting in January, my usual Friday family time is taken over by snowboarding/ski club. I *technically* know it’s a good thing, and Kimathi loves it, but in reality I kind of resent it taking my usual kid time away from me. Darian and I make ourselves busy while I try to distract him from the fact that he’s not included yet because he’s too young for their club. This week should be pretty easy because we’re going to a game night/appetizer night at a friend’s house. So! The moral of this (very long) story is that I’ll be prepping some kind of appetizer for our Friday night plans. And I’m going to be mindfully making Fridays a special day for Darian and I to make up for brother time lost. For both of us.
Friday! Game night! Like I just rambled on about above!
So. That’s it for my Life Plan this week. Bam! Saturday is the first day both boys have their basketball games, one at 10 and one at 11, so I’ve started making my peace with the fact that Saturdays will be busy for the foreseeable future. At some point this weekend I’ll be making a pot roast, because it’s on sale this week and provides excellent leftovers. Sunday I’m leaving as open as possible, because I will likely be completely burnt out by all the Saturday things. I think it will involve soup. And reading. But that’s about it.
Happy 2015 everyone!