I updated last week’s plan, but I saved the best part for right here. On Sunday I made a bunch of bean/rice/veggie soup for my week’s lunches, and then made a meatloaf/potato/green beans/rolls feast for dinner. I was really impressed with how the rolls turned out, so I wanted to share the secrets. The main “secret” is that I finally tried a recipe from my Kitchenaid cookbook (I think it’s this one). I made the sixty minute rolls, but of course since I had time I just had to mess with it.
After following Kitchenaid’s recipe all the way through the mixing directions, I coated the ball of dough in olive oil, and added a bunch of stuff. I got the idea to mix in the olive oil from my favorite pizza dough, and for the mix-ins I added about 1/3 cup red onions (that I’d already cooked and set aside, but I’ll add more next time), one minced clove of garlic (more next time), about 1 tsp each of dried rosemary and oregano (more next time), and a dash of garlic powder.
I kneaded the dough to get the mix-ins all incorporated, let it double in size, and then set to work on my rolls. I prepped two muffin tins with cooking spray, then split the dough into 48 pieces. Rolled those in more olive oil, put two in each muffin cup, let them puff up a bit again, and baked til the top was lightly golden. When they were done, I brushed them with butter, sprinkled them with salt, and OH MY GOODNESS they were good. Crusty outside, soft pull-apart-deliciousness, and totally worth eating at least five in a sitting.
That’s all the excitement for now, but my plan is to re-make the rolls next week. I’ll up the amount of mix-ins, and will try to get some rough measurements jotted down.
- Monday Chicken in white wine sauce, broccoli, rice and leftover dinner rolls. The rolls have been sealed up in a plastic bag (air sucked out) overnight, so the should still be pretty good. I may or may not slightly warm them up again before serving.
- Tuesday Friendsdinner! Not my night to cook, but I hear it may be some sort of chicken-in-crockpot deliciousness.
- Wednesday Fish tacos with cilantro/lime slaw and mango salsa. It’s supposed to be cold and snowy, so this dinner will help me pretend that it’s warming up a bit.
- Thursday Chicken/broccoli/bell pepper alfredo with bowtie pasta. Garlic bread and some kind of balsamic-dressed salad on the side.
- Friday Pasties! It’s always a good time to make a pasty, and I’ll already have the dough prepped in advance. This week will be delightfully filled with all sorts of crusty things. While pasties already have a small amount of veggies inside, I’ll still make a side of something green. Maybe asparagus if it looks good, or spinach if I don’t make it to the store.
I am still wrapping my head around the weekend plan, but I’m absolutely going to make the rolls again. Let me know if you have any suggestions for delicious sounding things. There’s a good possibility that I’ll top them with sesame seeds this time, but I’m definitely up for adding more goodness.